Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Perfect Spaghetti Sauce

I was making spaghetti for dinner tonight and for once actually kept track of all the stuff I was throwing into it. In the process, I think I have perfected spaghetti sauce. I LOVE this sauce. Even my picky kid likes it. It is chunky, thick, and doesn't all end up left on your plate when the noodles are gone (unless you're like me and put on WAY more sauce than necessary just so you have some to scoop up with your bread). It is SO easy, and it is all about '1'. Here it is:

1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion
1 Tbsp minced garlic (about 6 cloves)

1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can mushrooms (size depends on how much you like mushrooms, I use a small one)
1 can black olives (again, size depends on how much you like olives, I use a 15 oz can of whole olives and slice 'em up).
1 Tbsp mixed Italian seasoning (or 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, and 1 dash of each sage and marjoram.
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp sugar

Cook ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium high heat in a skillet until meat is cooked through and onion is translucent.

While meat is cooking, combine remaining ingredients into a 2 qt saucepan on low.

When meat mixture is cooked through, drain any fat and add to saucepan.
spaghetti sauce
Allow to simmer on low for at least 1 hour (I try to go at least 3 hours). Remove bay leaf before serving.


I use this sauce for spaghetti, lasagna, baked ziti, and even for pizza sauce if I don't add the meat. It freezes excellently and is a favorite of everyone in my house.
spaghetti sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment